As experienced real estate agents working in Caringbah South and across most of our exceptional Sutherland Shire, we know that many of you downsize for a number of reasons, only one of which is finances. We deal with downsizers all the time and understand your needs.
As you get older and perhaps wish to spend more time joining in local activities, you don’t need the responsibility of a large house and garden and possibly a swimming pool that no one uses.
Many of you who are considering downsizing have gone from having a large family around you to living on your own. You want to be free to connect more with your local community, to revive friendships, and be within walking distance or a quick bus ride to activities you enjoy.
Home features to make downsizing easier
Downsizing is a big decision. The last thing you need is to feel that you’ve downgraded, not just downsized. Why on earth would you want to move from a comfortable freestanding home to a smaller space that doesn’t suit your needs? We’ve found that the essentials for downsizers are:
1. Single level: Who needs to be running up and down stairs all day? And as we age, we’re more prone to arthritis and other conditions that make stairs a big no-no. Buying a single-level home in effect will ‘future proof’ your life.
2. Low maintenance: Most of us these days don’t have the energy we used to. Cleaning out gutters, repainting the exterior and general maintenance is beyond us. It’s time to enjoy all the amenities of a smaller space but without the responsibility.
3. Small garden (or large balcony): Many of us choose to green our homes but no longer have the time to look after a large garden. Many smaller properties have manageable gardens or large balconies where you can keep a few easy-care plants.
4. Generous entertaining space: We might not host the parties we used to but we still want somewhere to gather with our family. Some over-55 residences and similar communities have communal entertainment spaces that are perfect for gathering with family and friends.
5. Spacious rooms: We know you still want to be able to accommodate guests (and your lovingly chosen furniture).
6. Adequate storage: Being realistic, we know that most downsizers take a few years to shed their excess stuff. In the meantime, you need somewhere to store it all.
7. Plenty of light: Even the smallest space seems larger when it’s bathed in light. These days, most modern apartments, townhouses and villas in the Sutherland Shire have loads of light. A north aspect can increase light, especially in winter (when you need it).
8. Proximity to shops, public transport and medical facilities: Downsizing can mean giving up the family car. The ideal downsizer property is within an easy stroll to everything you need.
As long as you have plenty of light and space, and you’re close to amenities, you won’t miss your big backyard.
What types of properties are suitable for downsizers?
Types of suitable properties include:
- An apartment in a complex that has a lift
- Ground floor apartments in gated communities
- Duplexes or townhouses with a lift (or minimal stairs)
- Villas (single level)
- Retirement villages
- Over 55s’ complexes
- Small free-standing houses or cottages on small blocks of land.
Ultimately, you want to downsize, not downgrade, so it’s crucial that your new home meets all your needs and allows you plenty of freedom.
Can we help with advice on downsizing?
Having navigated the home sale and downsizing process not only for our real estate clients but also for members of our own family, it’s an area in which we’ve amassed a wealth of knowledge. So don’t hesitate to seek out our help – no obligations.